Clearly everyone has values and we’re no exception there. But we are guided and driven by certain values which we uphold in our everyday business. These values are over and above the things every modern company must achieve, such as a safe working environment (we’re accredited to OHSAS 18001), top quality products & services, on-time-in-full deliveries, technical knowhow etc. We summarise these in 6 points below, in no particular order, other than the first one:
- First and foremost, we value people. At the core of everything we do is a respect for people; an equal respect for all people. We recognise that people are differently positioned in terms of their market rate, the work that they do and their position in the supply chain (supplier/employee/customer). But these differences in standing, position and market rate should have no bearing on how people are treated. We live by this code or value, and work hard to ensure it is reflected in everything we do. Maybe that’s why we were recently voted the best injection moulder to work for in the UK.
- Second, we value openness, transparency, honesty; whatever you want to call it. We’ve no interest in pulling the wool over anyone’s eyes (or having it pulled over ours). We implement this by communicating clearly, in our quotations, purchase orders, progress & feedback reports, invoices, e-mails, presentations etc etc. Plain English; plain truth. That’s it. It might sometimes be painful to hear but it’s better than hiding the truth…most of the time!
- Third, we value humility. Only with humility can we continue to learn. We may have plenty of experience in tool-making, injection moulding, in difficult materials, decoration and assembly; but unless we approach all these disciplines with humility, we will never be any better than the sum of our experiences. New technologies are being developed all the time and we need to have the humility to test them out, otherwise we will not advance. Humility also helps us to listen to other people’s views, and learn from them. As the saying goes, ‘we have two ears and one mouth, so we should use them in proportion‘.
- Fourth, we value our environment. We limit the resources we use in every aspect of what we do, be that paper, production materials or energy. We study our manufacturing processes, our delivery patterns and our daily working practices with a level of intensity you would expect of a lean manufacturer looking for ways to cut out waste. Inevitably, we produce some waste but we manage this so that it isn’t simply thrown into a big hole in the ground. We work with Veolia to help manage waste, so that cardboard, plastics and metals are all recycled. By being lean, and working with local suppliers, we also keep our production miles to a minimum. Our environmental management systems and practices have recently been accredited to ISO 14001.
- Fifth, we seek to build teamwork. This means we expect our employees to actively work together, within the management structure we have created, making themselves available to help out, whenever requested (i.e. when needed), for the good of the company. That doesn’t mean we expect our employees to be here all day and night, seven days a week, but there will be times when longer hours and extra days will be required to meet the needs of our customers, and we expect people to ‘pull out all the stops’ at such times.
- Finally, we align all these values with accountability. That means taking responsibility for our actions, admitting mistakes (& showing we learn from them), taking corrective action and living up to our commitments.
We stick by these values, whichever way the wind blows.